Tuesday 2 July 2013

Whisky

This post was originally intended to be my first post on one of my greatest passions; whisky. The word whisky comes from the corruption of the Gaelic term Water of Life. I can't think of a better description. This golden liquid has got heart and soul!

I have "liked" whisky ever since I can remember. By this I mean I decided that I was rather fond of it before I tried it in any great quantity or quality (aside from the occasional hot toddy). Fortunately, when I did get round to trying it, I loved it! Unlike beer, I didn't even need to acquire the taste for Scotch. The rich, electrifying flavour had me captivated at once. The burning sensation from drinking neat spirit took a bit longer to get used to.

It's nto just the flavour of whisky I love. I find the lore and legend that has built up around whisky charming and enchanting too. I know the hills and heather imagery is tourist and a bit cheesy but I still love it. This is in no small part because these images aren't entirely inaccurate. Even the biggest distilleries with the most modern equipment occupy ancient buildings in remote glens.

There is also an almost endless amounts of variety in the whisky world.  Subtle variations in the manufacture process or slight geographical differences in the distilleries combine to give a wealth of different flavours in the glass. It's fun learning about all of these nuances and trying to pin down the different flavours.

Beyond all of this though, whisky is a catalyst for experiences. A tour round the Highlands with my father when we explored the whisky trail remains one of the happiest memories of my late teens (despite the locals in the pub beside the hotel being a bit over-friendly). Bonding over a shared passion has also made me several new and dear friends. The influence of whisky has also lead to some great adventures and exploits with old friends.

However, there is one feeling above all others that describes my emotions towards whisky; bloody tasty.

Sliante

TFB

No comments:

Post a Comment