Friday 9 August 2013

Cocktail Hour: Love Jericho

Time for another cocktail bar I think. Since my last review was on Raoul's, it seems only fair that I now turn my attention to it's next door neighbour; Love Jericho, unsurprisingly located in the Jericho area of Oxford.

If I was forced to describe the "feel" or worse the "vibe" of Love Jericho, I would probably opt for tropical. The bar area is very colourful with bowls of fruit and bright bottles everywhere. This is reflected in the drinks they make. A strong fruit bias runs through the menu with lots of vivid colours, citrus flavours and citrus garnishes.

When I walked in, I was impressed by the music; mainly that is wasn't too loud and I didn't have to bellow to be heard over it. The turn-out of the staff was also impressive. They were all very smart without being overly formal or stuffy. I appreciate this since, most of the time when I go for cocktails, there is usually some sort of occasion attached to it. If the bar staff are dressed like students, the sense of ceremony is diminished somewhat.

My first drink was, as always, a Vesper. This time, pleasingly, it was on the menu and I didn't have to battle to get the drink of my choice! It was suitably dry and strong with a nice kick to it. Next up was a Jericho Zombie. This was chosen mainly for the name but the list of ingredients also appealed. As you can imagine, a drink with this name had some flaming rum to finish it off. However the showmanship didn't detract from the quality of the drink. It was delicious; fruity while not being too sharp or too sweet. There was also decent strength to it; I'm always wary of cocktails that conceal the alcohol. I know they were invented to conceal poor quality hooch but these days, if you don't like the taste of alcohol, why not get a virgin one?

The highlight came later when I was talking to the barman about my preferred taste in drinks... dry and strong ideally. This ended up in him concocting a delicious green mixture involving vodka, bitters and one or two splashes from miscellaneous bottles. It as wonderful and hit the spot perfectly. Not bad for a few minutes chat over the bar.

Also worth noting is the happy hour which lasts until about nine most evenings. It applies to most of the drinks on the menu and puts their price in the region of a fiver. I think this is a rather good deal for such excellent drinks. Arguably it's cheaper (on a small scale) than buying the ingredients and doing it yourself.

There are a couple of drawbacks. Seating is a little on the limited side and is only possible indoors. Also, during one visit there was a live band. While the performers were excellent, the volume was loud to the point of being intrusive and made it impossible to hold a conversation. Finally, although the menu was extensive, there was a definite emphasis on fruit flavours which was a bit of a disappointment to my girlfriend who loves creamier flavours.

Despite these minor niggles we both thoroughly enjoyed it and have been back many times. It has also been recommended to friends (but not enemies). The drinks are excellent, the staff are friendly and the prices, even at full whack, are very reasonable. Go for a drink if you're in the area.

TFB

No comments:

Post a Comment