Monday 4 November 2013

Party Planning

It was my mother's birthday recently. It is amazing how often she turns 21 (not least because I'm 27)!  As part of the celebrations I (ably assisted by my girlfriend who was indulging her inner Pippa Middleton) put on a small "do" for her with her, my dad and a family friend with associated sprogs and dogs.

Naturally your friendly food blogger spent a considerable amount of time planning a key element; the food. After scrolling through numerous options for individually prepared dishes, I eventually settled for two big dishes that guests could help themselves to and eventually end up suitably stuffed. Even better (and a feature of luck rather than good planning) both dishes could be served with rice minimising the amount of prep. needed.

My first dish was a curry; an almost universal favourite. A korma was my eventual choice since it is rich and flavoursome without being too spicy. Critically it can also be prepared in bulk and in advance. I'm pleased to report that it was so popular that the pot was virtually licked clean.

My next dish was something of my own creation; beef beerginion. Sorry, it is a pun. My sense of humour is that clunking. The dish, as you may have guessed, is my take on a beef bourginion but made with copious volumes of beer rather than red wine. It simmers down to a beautiful, rich dish. Again this can be made in advance and in sufficient quantities to feed a medium-sized squadron (or my lot and a hungry dog).

I'm pleased to say that both dishes went down a storm.

Desserts were handled by my girlfriend; the one with the sweet tooth that I may have mentioned. The menu consisted of a delicious cheesecake, a birthday cake and (best of all in my opinion) a syrup dumpling. With that on offer, elasticated waistbands seem less like a sartorial slight and more like a vital necessity. All of this was finished off by some cupcakes beautifully decorated with poppies; my mum's favourite flower. These were done by my girlfriend's cousin who has an incredible talent when it comes to cupcakes and icing.

Key to all of this was one basic principle handed down from my mother and her mother before her; make sure that nobody was anything less than absolutely stuffed. Pancakes the next morning made this effect last well into the next day. Oh and some rolls and sausage for those that could stomach it.

Not only was spoiling my mother good fun. I enjoyed cooking for lots of people too. Much as I don't like planning, cooking is the exception that proves the rule. The challenge of cooking of cooking for a variety of ages and tastes is not one to be underestimated and extremely rewarding when it works out.

Most of all, both my girlfriend and I have learned one vital lesson which I will pass on to you now. When entertaining for crowds, paper plates are an absolute god-send. Washing up is minimised and we had more time to enjoy the party!

TFB

No comments:

Post a Comment